Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Merry Chanukah, Happy Christmas

This year I finally accomplished one the milestones to maturity- I planned and executed a holiday greeting card list. Of course by the time I was through, I was terrified that I wrote Christmas instead of Chanukah and vice versa.

And I have no problem wishing someone a merry Christmas. Of all the Christian holidays, this one is actually quite insignificant to Christian theology. The people I wish a merry Christmas are the same ones who have no problem wishing me a happy Chanukah. Lastly, it is so bizarre that some UO do not say Christmas, since "Christ" is Greek for "anointed" and by using that term, you are acknowledging that Jesus was the anointed Messiah. Yet in the same document where a UO writer is so meticulous in writing "XMas," he has no problem writing Christian. Is there a difference here I am not getting?